Campaign Finance Reform
An important analysis of the state of democracy in our country is the funding of elections at all levels.
Major issues include disclosure laws, electronic access to campaign financial forms, and the bundling of campaign contributions.
Midwest Democracy Network recently released an analysis of campaign finance laws and their status in Minnesota.
The report recommends:
- Disclosure of contributions over $100 to candidates, PAC’s, political parties and legislative caucuses
- Voluntary electronic disclosure laws
- Limits on direct corporate giving to candidates, PAC’s or political parties
- Limits on campaign contributions by PAC’s, individuals, political parties and legislative caucuses
- Partial public financing system for candidates who qualify
- Political contribution refunds by the state to an individual for qualifying contributions to state legislative and constitutional office candidates